16 January, 2008

Okay, I think it's gonna be a good thing

I got past the sinus crud. My cheekbones were still tender this morning and lots of pressure behind my eyes, but as the day wore on it got better and better. I think 1) not smoking 2) exercising regularly 3) taking vitamin C daily all contributed to this being an easy setback that would've been much worse anytime prior to July 07.

I took yesterday off, even though my legs were wanting to do something. Had another 6am call this morning. I thought it was going to be my last one at that hour, but then found out another regular call is being moved back for the next couple of months. :-) All in a days work, I reckon.

So, the forecast and weather.com said it was going to be 43F/45F late this afternoon. I took off about 4:30 and did workout #2 of week #3 for the 5K. Had my ears covered and dust mask on, but forgot to grab the gloves. It was okay, hands were only cool for the first few minutes. I wore the dust mask for first 10 minutes. I took it off for a few, put it back on for a few and finally it got on my nerves so bad I moved it aside for good. It's funny, I expected it to be hard to run since it's been several days. I won't say it was easy, 'cause it wasn't. But can't say it was hard.

I was reading some running tips online last night. This particular article talked about form and posture, running on the balls of your feet, trying to glide/fly across the ground and not pound the pavement. I remember that feeling (ancient history) of feeling light and gliding during a run. I tried to strike the ground fast and keep my feet moving. I also tried to keep my chest pushed forward and stay more on the balls of my feet. According to the article, this puts more energy into moving forward and not putting so much into the ground, just pounding vertically.

When I got back to the house, the front door was locked! I knew basement would be, so came in thru the garage. Oh my goodness, the heat in the house was suffocating! So, I go out back and do 5 reps up the steps to the deck and back down.

I hadn't been in the house 30 seconds and the phone rang. It was my sister. We haven't talked forever, most of our conversations are chatting online. :-) I was breathing hard and she asked if I had just run. I said, yes but it was good. I kept thinking out how hard I was breathing, but failed to mention that I had done those stairs, too. Oh well, no matter.

While I'm sitting here typing this and wishing I was doing better, the news comes on and I see the weather. The high is happening now and it's just 38F. Hmm, now I feel a little bit better about my run. I did it in the 30s, that's saying something! Last winter I would walk to the parking garage from work in mid 30s and need my inhaler. I did my workout and didn't wheeze. I did breathe hard! Part of that was from hitting the stairs, too. Part of it was coming into very warm air after such cold air. Okay, maybe I'm rationalising just a little bit. But by golly, Sherri is doing some good things.

Even more important, I know I can do this run stuff in the 30s. This is good, because the 10 day forecast doesn't look like we'll be out of the 30s unless it's down into the 20s. I want to keep this training going. I want to run this 5K!

Well, tomorrow is back to the bike for 60 minutes. I'm really hoping I can do the routine and maintain the RPMs, etc. I know I'm using different muscles when riding than running. But all of this is working my heart and lungs. That's where I need the real results.

I just wonder when/how I'm going to get this 5K training accomplished.

No comments: