20 January, 2008

Never get too comfortable - it's all gonna change again

That's the fun of it! This is the adventure of life.

Found out this week I get to move to a new place in the office, but no one can tell me exactly where, yet. I was asked my preferences, which was good. For this I am grateful. I requested a window and cubicle with tall walls. I could be put on any of 3.5 floors that our group occupies. As long as I have a place to call home in the tower I will be happy. I like the flexibility of working remotely, but wouldn't be good if it was 100% of the time.

The weather! It has been cold, it's winter time and it should be cold. But it is detrimental to my work-out agenda. I'm losing time to get my training for the 5K. Today's high got to 18F I think, wind-chill was bitter.

I'm still learning and increasing my vocabulary. Balaclava is something that keeps coming up when I read about cold weather fitness. It's on my list of items to purchase.

It's been a good weekend. I rode 50 minutes Saturday. Oldest daughter came by and spent some time visiting and doing laundry. Hubby fixed a big pot of cabbage, potatoes and kielbasa. YUM! We watched my Cardinals lose. :-(

Today, I simmered a pot of white chili (http://www.courier-journal.com/features/food/requests/recipes/timothys_white_chili.html). I've used this recipe for years, always with modifications. Remember to soak your dried beans overnight, this helps reduce gas and cook time. I get a little more generous with garlic. If you like it with more heat, increase the cayenne or better yet, have a jar of jalapenos handy.

I rode the trainer for an hour and a half today. I didn't use a workout. I decided to spin and just have some added Time In The Saddle. I ran through 3 gears with a warm-up and cool-down around 85RPM, cruised the rest of the time between 95 and 105. Watched New England win again during my ride! I love Tom Brady. Hubby rode yesterday and today during the times I was riding. He's said that he's sticking to 25 minutes easy minutes. My reward was a great big bowl of chili, with jack cheese, sour cream, salsa and tortilla chips. I treated myself to a Mountain Dew! (first one in a quite some time). After finishing off the last drops, I ran a tub full of hot water and sat with the jets on for 30 minutes. Guess I'm gonna spend the next little while watching Green Bay and New York.

Have you noticed the longer days? I know it's not much, but it is enough to be encouraging!

Tomorrow we'll see 42F, that's a heatwave! Plan on doing a run, gotta get one in! We have more cold days ahead. But change is always a day or two ahead. Keeps me on my toes!

No comments: