24 August, 2007

To Taper or not to taper off Chantix

I will not encourage anyone to do anything outside of their Doctor's recommendation. My quit buddy went to the doctor this week for a check-up. He told her that the best success rate is for people to go the full 3 months and that it's not necessary to taper off.

I have another friend/colleague that quit taking Chantix after one month. She seems to be doing very well.

I'm just doing this for me. If I feel the urges are too much to get through, I'll go back on it. Simple as that. I don't believe I'll ever light up a cigarette again though. I've never made it this long and I feel so much healthier.

I could die from getting hit by a bus this afternoon. But if I am lucky enough to live for a while longer, I do not intend to be pulling an oxygen tank behind me. That is exactly where I was headed and it was too close for comfort.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherri: Congrats on the MONTH! I am 42 days today and also cut back to one pill a day about 2 weeks ago...my insurance doesn't cover the cost, so this way I can stretch it out. I haven't seen a big difference except for the past 2 days I have had some very strong urges. They don't last long but seem stronger and more frequent. If this keeps up, I'll probably extend my Chantix "stay" another month. I am sooooo afraid of smoking again because I also was too close for comfort to the old oxygen thingy (one of Maggie's favorite nouns). Becky in TN

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Sherri! I do agree that if you are ready to be all done, then you are ready to be all done, and that's the most powerful factor there is. Go Sherri!

Sherri said...

Becky, that is great new - 42 days. Way to go Girl! Do whatever you can to refocus your thoughts when those strong urges come. I try a lot of things. Taking a walk is the best for me.

Anonymous said...

Chantix tablets do not contain any traces of nicotine in the ingredients. This is unlike many traditional quit smoking drugs that help smokers quit smoking by injecting small doses of nicotine into their bodies. http://www.chantixhome.com/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.