11 August, 2007

Nothing like testing yourself on a regular basis to make you humble

18 days tobacco free, riding the stationary bike for about 8 weeks, building time and intensity, I thought I'd try a run. Now, way back in the olden days (high school) I ran track and had been athletic until I starting having children.

I drove to the high school and decided to try 4 laps on the track. I know distances on a track and it's flat unlike my neighborhood! Ran the first lap, split the 2nd and 3rd laps with walk first half/run the second, walked the fourth lap. Legs and muscles were ready for more, lungs and heart weren't. Surprised I didn't cough and hack during it, but I wouldn't have made it that single mile if I had. What is so annoying (and it was in high school too) is that my throat/larynx tightens so much. I wish I could keep those muscles in a more relaxed state.

Time and patience are required. Hell I've done all this damage over the last 35 years and have been sedentary most of it. I should be thrilled that I made the mile with no stops, right? Think I'll try it again tomorrow morning. See if I can at least match today if not run a little more of that mile. Gotta get back on the bike in a bit, once this old heart has a chance to recover from the walk/run. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just think it's awesome that you are even trying to do more because you are already doing a lot! I was planning on posting later today my little experience with running - wasn't pretty.

You are doing great. Keep going!