15 August, 2007

I know I'm always going to be addicted to nicotine

and I hope I'm not fooling myself. This Chantix has been the best as far as getting beyond 3 weeks tobacco free. I've begun to use it as a crutch and I don't like that feeling. The side effects have gotten to me lately. Nausea hasn't been bad and it's welcome when associated with smoke. The dreams are making me NUTS! I have to get better rest than I have been. The gas, well I can do without this annoying side effect, too.

An earlier post referenced a night of drinking over the weekend. By the time I finally got up for the day on Sunday (around 11) it was too late to take my first dose in my opinion. So, I waited until 6 pm and took it. No real urges all day. Dreams were maddening Sunday night though. I've decided to take it once a day the rest of this week. People are worried I'm pushing the envelope. Maybe I am, and I it feels like I'm slipping I'll go back to 2 a days.

I get the tuggins still as Maggie calls them. But I can get past them as long as I refocus my thoughts and energy.

So happy it's Over the Hump Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri, I pulled back to one a day at about 3 weeks...am at 32 days now. I did it because my insurance doesn't cover chantix and not due to the side effects..besides I love my dreams! At any rate, I have felt no negative results from pulling back and always knew that if it got scary I could always go back to the 2 a day routine. You're doing great, keep it going! Good Luck!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Sherri! Plenty of folks have been able to do just as you are with quitting Chantix sooner. If you try it and aren't loving it, you can always go back on for a bit if needed. Otherwise, off you go on your own as a non-smoker, and that's the idea for all of us eventually anyway, so it's a good thing! I've just had no reason to quit sooner (side effects have been manageable, insurance mostly paying), so I'm going with the 3 month plan. It would be a different story for me if either of those things were different. Do keep us posted, and good luck!

King Frank said...

After reading so many comments from people about their side effects from the medicine, I really find myself being thankful I seem to have missed out on those.

You can do it!