31 December, 2007

What a year 2007 has been!

So many changes and challenges! Tonight marks 23 weeks since my last cigarette. Close to that 6 month mark. I don't think I would ever have believed I could've done this anytime prior to July.

Yesterday I felt like I was coming down with bronchitis. My lungs were super tight between the shoulder blades and I was coughing like mad. I had yucky congestion. I took my vitamins, slept most of the afternoon, and by 7pm felt normal. That was very weird!

I felt great this morning so I got out today and rode my bike on the open road. I decided I wasn't going to worry so much about speed, just ride for an hour. The temp was in the high 40s so I wore the dust mask. This was good, as the air was cold. Problem was getting it to fit with the sunglasses and helmet. I'm gonna have to find better glasses or goggles for riding as these are too clunky and need to be higher above my brow. I wasn't very successful in getting the fit right as the mask kept fogging up the right lens. It's so not easy to see through a foggy lens! At least my right contact is the one for reading, not distance!

I was riding out King's Church road on the first leg. I came up to the Lassie house, but no dog. Whew! I thought maybe the other day was a fluke. The wind was variable which made the ride interesting. I turned around and was heading back just enjoying the ride and lack of traffic. All of a sudden here came Lassie, running and barking! I stood in the pedals and humped it. Which was interesting as there was a car coming in each direction, but they were cool and we had no problems.

I took my regular turn down Dawson Hill and it seems the more I rode the better I was feeling. Now, this doesn't mean I was all that happy with my speed or cadence. Just my lungs and legs felt good. As I approached the end of my Dawson Hill leg (which is a 90 degree right hand turn) I met another cyclist. We spoke and he kept going as I came to a stop to get a drink and turn around. He noticed and came back. He was very nice and we chatted for a few minutes and then rode together back to the end of my usual King's Church leg. He showed me how to draft. I feel terrible that I didn't get his name! I'm sure I'll see him out and about again. It was nice to have a buddy to ride with, even if it was just about 3 or 4 miles. I told him I wouldn't be going downhill with him. He said it's not that bad coming back up that one. I'll get out and do it. I just don't have that much self confidence yet.

I headed back and got to the neighborhood, looked at my stopwatch and did a lap before turning in. I wound up with about 53 minutes and 13 miles. Nothing to brag about. My biggest regret is we are headed into the coldest days over the next couple of months. Now you just never know how cold or for how long around here. It would be nice to have some snow, but I would love to have plenty of days in the high 40s and 50s that are dry for riding.

Biggest regret for today is that I didn't get out and do my 1st workout of week #2 for the 5K. Tomorrow is going to be cold and nasty. I should've done the run thing and saved the bike for the trainer. Oh well. I didn't. I wonder, if I ride my bike in the trainer standing, would that do any good as a simulation for running? :-) Probably not.

Now there's a group that has a New Year century planned for Saturday. I'm not ready for that this year. There's also a Hangover Classic run tomorrow, but that is a 10 miler. I'm not ready for that either. I will get on my trainer and put in 60 barring any unforeseen barriers. Hope to behave tonight and ring in the New Year quietly.

Here's wishing all of you the best for 2008. Have a very safe and Happy New Year!

Hope it's my first full year of tobacco-free-ness.


3 comments:

Mz Diva said...

Oh my God, almost six months? Preparing for a 5K race? Amazing! I hope you feel better. Bronchitis is the worst! Ok, you motived me! Originally I was planning on chilling in front of the TV eating left over prime rib and stuffed baked potato but tomorrow I will also go for a walk...and work on my resume! I am looking forward to a kick ass 2008! Happy new year.
Peace,
Diva

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you, Sherri! What a different person from this time last year, huh? Me, too, just not quite as motivated as you ;) All the best to you in 2008.

Sherri said...

You two are so good to me! Maggie, my motivation is partly due to my age, partly because my kids are grown, and partly I think I'm might be having a mid-life crisis! LOL You both are motivated to quit smoking and that says tons in my opinion! Right now, I'm ready to get back to work and a regular routine. Vacation and veg time is always good, but it's approaching too much now.