05 December, 2007

Will it ever be good enough? I don't think so

Guess I should find a few other hobbies to get interested in, 'cause I spend too much time riding, running, or typing about it. :-) BUT I am not smoking tobacco!

I've attempted to jot down all of the information I know about my fitness each day I have something to record. Once I've gotten finished with a ride, run, or other activity I've sent myself an email with the statistics. Last weekend, instead of decorating the house for Christmas, I went through all of those emails and entered the info into a spreadsheet.

My first thought about the results, once I got everything entered, was disappointment. Now, what is wrong with me? I've done things I haven't done in decades and my first reaction is, "is that all?". Am I the only person that has such expectations? Are we always ready to set ourselves up for failure?

Maybe it is the American way, the reason we are such successful entrepreneurs. The reason my parents were disappointed with anything less than all A's. (My Dad was a high school Biology teacher).

Should it ever be good enough? I don't care about racing and out-doing running/riding/whatever other people. At least not yet. First, I want to do better each time than my previous time. No, that is second. First, I want to enjoy what I am doing and relish in the sweat, my surroundings, listen and feel my heart beat in my chest and hear my breath between my ears.

Yoga in January! Not sure there's much to measure or record with that. But if there is I will record it.

Was too busy to ride tonight. I feel guilty about it! I miss riding. It's going to be in the 60s again this weekend. I need some rain gear with reflective tape. I want to get out on the open road and put down some miles on this new bike. I'd love to get 15 behind me, maybe more if my legs will hold.

It's "Over the Hump Day"! Weekend is right around the corner now. ;-)






5 comments:

Mz Diva said...

Sherri, you are really an inspiration to me! First your doing well by quitting smoking. Now you are becomming an exerciser...and a bike rider at that! I know that in order to be healthier and avoid weight gain (I have a few pounds to lose from BEFORE I quit smoking) I will need to put positive things in place such as an exercise program. I am really sick right now but I hope to have found an exercise progrogram or gym by the first of the year! Keep up the good work.
Peace,
Diva

Sherri said...

Diva, I'm glad I can be a positive influence in your life. I hope you are able to get over your illness soon. One comment, don't let losing weight/not losing weight keep you from quitting smoking. I think what I've tried to do is change my lifestyle, but not completely. I started exercising before I quit smoking. At the same time I started looking at the food I was eating; when, what, how much. I also started with little goals and try very hard to keep a realistic persective. Celebrate in those small victories!

Mz Diva said...

You have a point....little goals lead to bigger ones! When my health returns, I am going to start making some fitness/diet goals. If I can do it with smoking, I can do it with anything!
Peace,
Diva

Dana said...

Hi!

I randomly found your blog because we share some similar interests.

Based on those interests, I think you would enjoy my blog about women's health and fitness.

www.asizableapple.com

It's updated daily with quick tips and tricks to help the average, busy woman living on a budget manage a healthy lifestyle.

Hope to see you reading soon!

- Dana

Sherri said...

Dana, thanks. I'll check it out. Hope you aren't one of those spammers.