20 December, 2007

End of the year - should be fun - can be stressful -- Very Full Of Stress!

I thought I should post a warning to everyone that is either trying to quit smoking or have already quit in the last months.

This is a very stressful time of year for some (a lot) people. We put off the inevitable like shopping, decorating, mailing Christmas cards and so many more task. (I've bought 4 gifts to date). Money can be tight and the pressure to spend on others can be stressful. Relationship strains make us sad if we won't see loved ones this time of year. The loss of a friend or loved one in the recent past makes this time of year much more difficult and leaves an empty place.

Monday and Tuesday tested my will power. But Wednesday I wanted a cigarette all day long. I haven't had an urge like this since August! I didn't smoke, I kept trying my old diversions: Dum dums, chewing gum, nice walk in fresh air, mini altoids, finding alternative things to focus my attention. It just kept coming back. I made it through and I didn't succomb, but it was scary. Monday was 21 weeks since my last cigarette! This just goes to show how there are still triggers ready to tempt you.

I'll be sending out all the good karma and smoke-free thoughts to all of my 'quit-buddies' for this holiday season.
Merry Christmas to everyone!

I'm so grateful I found you guys and Chantix!

3 comments:

Mz Diva said...

I am so glad that you made it though a stressful craving period. That is so cool that you relied on the things that you originally used to focus your attention away from wanting to smoke. I was becomming a dum dum and a tootsie roll pop addict there for awhile! I am glad that I still have some left in case a crisis arrives. Now I know what to do and hearing that someone else survived a craving episode makes me feel much stronger. Thanks for posting! Happy Holidays.
Peace,
Diva

Sherri said...

Oh Diva, it was not easy. I need to invest in the company that makes Dumdums! 'Course investing in who has the recipe for Chantix would be good too. I'm so happy I found it. I feel so good, alive, like trying more new things. smoking makes you lethargic, lazy, eh.

Diva, keep focussed on what is important. That will always keep you pointed in the right direction.

maggie said...

Glad you are hanging tough, and I do hope that it will turn out to be enjoyable anyway!