22 December, 2007

There is nothing like December in Louisville, Kentucky

The weather is unpredictable as heck. Never expect cold and snow in December. But as soon as you are positive it won't get cold and snow, you wake up to sleet or freezing rain or maybe a dusting. :-)

I've talked my BFF into training for a 5K on March 1st. It is the first of Louisville's Triple Crown of running. There is a 5K on March 1, a 10K on March 15 and a 10 miler on March 29. Coolrunning.com has a Couch to 5K in 9 weeks that looks great. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Now yesterday was very nice. Got up to 56F or so. I went out in the neighborhood and did my first workout. It's a weird feeling to be in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt on December 21st. I saw a few other's in shorts yesterday, but there were plenty of people in sweatshirts etc. I like the way this workout slowly builds. I've heard people sing it's praises. I swear though. I haven't run since November. The last 2 60 second runs were not easy. Too much smoking damage on my lungs and heart I think. But perserverance it what it takes. And your mind can place limits that your body can overcome. I gotta retrain the mind!

Today, the temps rose to 60F. I got out and rode my bike for an hour. It was a superb day. The sun was shining bright. I wore my bike-shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt, with a sweatband on my head covering my ears. The wind was stronger than I would've preferred. I was too slow and am not happy about it. But I keep thinking, if I could get 2 weeks of back to back days out there, I would be doing great! By 45 minutes, I was feeling great and my cadence was staying closer to 80+. I also think if I had someone to ride with, a group, I would push myself more than out there alone. I've got to find the motivation within myself. This way, when I do ride with a group, I'll be ready.

I've asked for cool weather apparel for Christmas, but forgot to list the booties for my shoes. Oh well, I can always improvise on those.

Tomorrow starts out at 48F and drops all day into the 20s with winds pushing 30 mph. LOL If you don't like the weather in Kentucky wait 48 hours, it'll change.

Christmas is almost here! The weather is going to try and get us to a merrier place.
One more tobacco free day, life is good.

No comments: