25 November, 2007

Feel all giddy, like a little kid

I ordered my bike, shoes, pedals, and trainer yesterday. Have an appointment to pick everything up on Wednesday and have the bike 'fit' to my body. I was happy to keep everything close to what I set as a budget - $1,000. Sounds awfully extravagant, but then I look at some of those bike prices and realise what an investment you can make. I've since thought about my purchase and still need to get a rack for my car and would like to have a gadget to put on my trainer, keep track of speed/distance. Friend told me that's not necessary, which I guess is true.

I could spend a small fortune with this fitness stuff. Apparel is so expensive. Now, I've never been one to worry about 'looking the look' when doing stuff. But a decent pair of bike shorts is $50, a good sports bra is $40, a pair of lightweight gloves with grips is $25. We don't need to add all the other garments that wick away moisture, like socks, shirts, jackets, leggins, etc.

Feel guilty, because I didn't ride yesterday. So, I've gone out today and ran the neighborhood 2 laps in 20 minutes with a 4 minute cool down walk. Plan on getting on the bike indoors in a bit.

I'd love to have some lofty goal in front of me. Say a triathlon in X amount of time. But after running the neighborhood and reaffirming my unfitness, I am humbled and happy to be tobacco free and working on it. My breathing is still laboured when I run, that may never change. I seem to remember having a lot of tightness even in the HS track days. I don't get that feeling while riding, guess it's just not the same cardio workout.

Addendum: got on the bike intending on 25 minute ride. As the end of the ride was approaching remembered an earlier email exchange with a friend, who loves to say TITS (time in the saddle). Doesn't understand why people measure miles. I think we all like to measure something. Mileage, time, and speed have always made the hard statistics. I worry if I only log time, I may not be getting the intensity I should. Anyway, I logged 6.8 in the 25 minutes and then decided to go for 10 miles or 45 minutes, whichever came first. I got the full 10 miles in 38 minutes, which cracks me up, cause I felt like I pushed really hard the first 25. I didn't slow as much as I thought I would in the last 13 minutes. I'm starting to get very juiced about bringing home the new bike and getting setup. I hope I have no problems walking on Thursday or Friday. Once I get those pedals, I'll be working new muscle groups. Hello gluteus maximus!

Next post is probably gonna be less about this fitness stuff and more contemplative, retrospective, or maybe not.




No comments: