21 October, 2007

More mileage!

I'm thinking these days getting shorter are affecting my sleep cycle, but could be other things, too. Slept past 7 again this morning. So frustrated, my lungs were full of crud for a good hour and a half. Typically, everything will clear up within 30 minutes of getting up, taking my Advair and drinking a cup of coffee and bottle of water.

Finally got out and did my first run/walk in 12 days at about 8:30. I knew I needed to stay at least half of where I'd been training, so stayed in the neighbourhood instead of going to the track and did one loop plus length to and from the house which is about .9 of a mile total. Admittedly, with the hills it's more challenging than the track. My lungs still weren't clear and the wheezing was terrible. I thought of just stopping at one point, but decided that wouldn't prove anything, but I was a quitter. Not something I have ever thought of myself ('cept for cigs!)

Bastian the mut went with me. He would run ahead to the next mailbox and then catch up, run at my heels and then race to the next mailbox. I ran the whole time from the house to the bottom of the hill (1/2 way). Then I walked/ran up the backside about half and half. It took me 10.4 minutes, which is slow, but I was just gauging my leg mostly. When I got back to the house the soft tissue at my ankle had some decent pangs and there was some swelling, but they subsided.

Then about 11:00 (while most were still at church) I got out for my bike ride. Put 14 miles behind me at about 65 minutes. Slower than yesterday, but I expected that. The temps were 10 degrees warmer at 74F and winds were 6mph stronger at 12 compared to Saturday. With .8 of mile left to the house I took 5 and stopped at The Pantry and bought a banana and ate it. After that nasty cramp yesterday, thought I should be more proactive. It was another beautiful morning, with just a few wisps of clouds and bright sunshine.

I have to remember my camera next time! It would be good to share some of the fall colour since it's coming into peak now.

3 comments:

Konstantin said...

Wow, I can't believe how you are really doing some physical exercise stuff. That's the best you can do, although knowing it apparently doesn't make me do it. But if I read enough of your stories I'll maybe get motivated to finally get myself back into running. Or something. :)
Keep it up, it's really awesome (and good for you)!

Sherri said...

Thanks Stan! I think it has to do with an obsessive/addictive personality trait. ;-)

Seriously, just needed to make some lifestyle changes all around. I tell you, filling your lungs with oxygen, making your heart work and getting sweaty really makes me feel alive!

Anonymous said...

Sherri, I'm just getting caught up, but I think it's cool that you are seeing the world through at bicycle pace. Sad on the roadkill bit, but pretty cool otherwise. I'm still sorting out my ankle issue, but I do still just *love* the whole walking thing. It's been an important part of my quit, even if it's just kind of dipping my toes in. This is the most regularly I've ever exercised in my life. Being able to tell the doctor that yes, not only am I *not* a smoker, but, yes, also, I *do* exercise regularly. Very cool, but you are even cooler with your multi-faceted little regime and tougher stuff ;)