18 October, 2007

Humbleness and vanity

I know that vanity is bad in so many ways. When something happens to make you realise how vain you are, hopefully you can deal with it in a humorous way.

I know this had to do with Karma. I was a bit full of myself (last post) when I found out that I had lost 17 pounds and boasted more than I should've. So, I'm sitting on a global call Tuesday morning eating my ritual bagel for breakfast. With two bites left, my left front bridge (contains 3 crowns) falls out of my mouth. Now, it couldn't be one tooth (crown) but 3. Following my call I walk to CVS and buy some temporary dental cement. This lasts until about 5:00, when I am at my sister's house sitting on the front porch visiting. Then the temporary stuff lets go. I asked her if she wanted to see. She cringed and said no, that it must hurt. I said no, but I definitely look like a hill-billy from Appalachia. Then I showed her anyway. She laughed and said that it would be great for Halloween!

I got into the dentist this morning and he put everything back where it belongs. I still have this fear this will happen again. It's the 2nd time so far. More worried if it was in a professional situation with clients than if it was a personal event, though.

You know, we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Laughter helps us get through so many trying times!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think the 17 pounds gone is a big enough deal to mention and wouldn't call it boasting but just plain awesome. I also think it's awesome that you have a sense of humor. All around, I'd say you are pretty awesome ;)

Sherri said...

Maggie, like I said, we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. I don't want to be so serious and stoggy that people can't approach me. Of course I also don't want to scare people away with a gaping hole in my mouth either.

Konstantin said...

Oh, no, that must be so difficult. My mom pretty much has no teeth, just the bridge (or two). I KNOW from her experience how excruciating it is to deal with those teeth issues.
Of course, leaving it like that for Halloween is not an issue!!!