20 October, 2007

Finally some mileage

I've been thinking of joining the Louisville Bicycle Club, mostly as a way to meet people that are cycling enthusiasts. This way I can learn more, but also start to build a network of friends I can ride with on a regular basis. A colleague at work said that she would be happy to ride with me. She's an avid cyclist. I worried though that she will be bored with me and this easy ride. This club has organised rides almost daily, which is awesome. The rides vary from easy to very difficult and in length from 12 or so miles to 100 milers. I think she and I will try one next Saturday that is at the easiest level and length is somewhere around 12 - 15 miles.

I've been riding several times a week, but only 6 - 7 miles in about half an hour. Week days this works when I'm working remotely from home, and fits into my lunch hour. Also, traffic is fairly light. The days are just getting too short to get out on the road after I get home from work, unless I try to do the at 5:30. Traffic is just too heavy on my country lanes at that time of day.

I ventured out today, planning on riding an hour, hoping for some decent mileage. The weather has been tremendous. At one point during my ride I looked at my stop watch and i was at 42 minutes, so I decided to retrace part of the road already ridden. Now, I'm not breaking any speed records here. This is not my intention, yet. I just wanted to see how much time I could get in on the bike. I was approaching an hour, was feeling very good and thought about keeping going. But! I get this really nice cramp in my left calf muscle. It is truly not an easy feat to keep peddling with a cramp in your calf. I was very close to home, so decided this was my cue I'd put in enough miles for today. That cramp was a little wicked as I climbed the last hill in the subdivision. When I got home I'd clocked 62 minutes. This is more than twice of anything I've done to date. Woo Hoo!

I think I need a GPS, but not willing to invest, yet. I get home, blow my nose and jump in the car. Pencil and paper in hand and reset the trip odometer, I retrace my ride. I put in 14 miles today! Woo hoo! Again, this isn't fast at just under 5 minute mile. Now this proves to myself that I can do this ride next weekend with a group and not embarrass myself by needing to quit half-way through. I plan on getting out again tomorrow and shooting for at least this much mileage.

Now, I'm impressed with today, 'cause this was after a night of football and beer drinking. My Cardinals lost, boo hoo. But we had a great time, Hubby and I joined my quit buddy and her hubby at the Louisville Pizza Company. We had a blast!. I'm thinking I should've had more water before bed and early this morning before going out to ride. That's probably why I had the cramp.

Think I'll go get some errands behind me and maybe treat myself to something new. I won't be drinking any pitchers of beer tonight. Need to be good as I want to get up and maybe run/walk a mile and a half early. Then get out and ride my bike while everyone else is at church.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes and list my route. Enjoy this wonderful Saturday! I know I have so far.

No comments: