15 October, 2007

Funny thing about doctors

I've never seen this one smile. I've tried over the years, just couldn't seem to get him to smile. I pride myself on being able to do that with people. I completely understand why. He is serious about what he does.

Today he smiled. He was reading my profile and said, "this is different it says Smoking - No". I answered with a "yes, this is true. Tonight when I go to bed will be 12 weeks. It's all due to the Chantix, and the 3 breathing tests over 2 years you conducted. But it still took me 3 months to decide to quit since then." Then he said, "you've lost weight since April". I explained, "I've been exercising since before I quit. First on the stationary bike and now on the open road. I've also begun trying to run, though I've still not put together a full mile without walking, yet. What I would like to do is run the 5K next spring." He smiles, and says that his favorite is the City Run, it's 6 miles, twice the 5k, that I should aspire to that one. I protest, though without much conviction, saying that patience isn't my strong point. I think I need to set smaller goals to get to the big ones. I don't want to discourage myself before I get there! He explains that there is plenty of time, almost 6 months to get ready, plenty of time.

I asked about a breathing test and he said to wait until April. I asked about cutting back on my dosage of Advair, again wait until April and see the results of the breathing test. All in good time. He wants me to cut back, too. Just need to be prudent about it.

Okay, big deep breaths. Keep setting these goals, small ones lead to bigger ones. Not sure I will ever be a triathlete or anything that Ulta, but who knows for sure. One day at a time. That's what I've decided about not smoking. One day at a time. I know I can do some bigger things, if I stay healthy. I just need to stay healthy. Be smart. Get my checkups, exercise, eat right, pay attention to what my body tells me.

I know I could die tomorrow. Get hit by a bus crossing the street or slam into a deer in the wee hours of the morning during my commute. But if I'm lucky enough to live a few more years, I want to feel alive and healthy. Not tired and old, full of aches and pains.

Now, I guess I'll bore everyone with more stats on training. Riding the bike, running the miles and maybe snapping some nice pics along the way. This training is for my golden years. I want to experience so many things!

Til next time - Be good - Give only good - and Try to commit a random act of kindness each day. I swear it will come back in so many more ways!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of the most inspiring posts I've read, and I needed to hear that today. Thank you. You are awesome.

Sherri said...

Maggie, you are welcome. I am so glad that I could give something back to you. I was so thrilled when I stumbled upon your blog. You have helped me tremendously, knowing that others are having similar experiences. We have become a community of strangers with a common goal.

Believe me when I say - You Are Awesome!