28 August, 2011

First mtn bike season is in the books - racing-wise that is

splurged on a room and sushi for dinner. Went to bed by 10:30, was awake 11:30, 12:30; 2:00, 3:30 - 4:15 and finally slept (with alarm and snooze) til 7:30. I had a nice breakfast of 2 pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and hot tea. Took my time with putting everything back in the car and arrived in time to sign in and click off some pics of the Cat Pro/1/2 start.


Went back to the van and relaxed for 30 before kitting up and warming up. I was surprisingly calm. No jitters or butterflies. I just wasn't going to get all bent for this last race. The start was crowded and we kept moving back to give room. All Cat 3 men waves went, then Juniors, then Clysdales and Cat 3 women then Intro men and women. That is a LOT of people just minutes between starts. For the most part it seemed to work well.


I was shocked when I got the hole shot. The season 1st place lady was behind me and wanted to pass, but there just wasn't a place on the narrow single track. I gave way as soon as the course allowed. However, I was not going to stop. It was my race, too. I felt great and stayed in a big gear most of the race, except for a few places. The drops were no problem. My only issue was having to slow down on some of the 90 - 120 degree turns. Eventually 5 women passed me along with a few men. I'm good with that though. I rode hard and didn't fall/crash. 


This was such a fun season. Lots of learning, new GREAT people and new places were discovered. 


I'm whooped. I need to get my arse in gear for CX now. No more laziness! I have my room for Madison in January. And I'm thinking about a camp in Spain in Feb. We'll see how it goes.


I'm happy and tired. I should sleep tonight. Full week of work before a nice long weekend for vacation and the last holiday of summer. The weather has been spectacular as well.


I hope all of you have enjoyed this weekend as much as I have!




peace

No comments: