15 February, 2008

A different kind of February 14

It was different. Hubby and I spent some quality time on Valentine's eve. He fixed a great supper and we caught a movie on TV, etc.

Have a project at work that's taking longer than I would've liked and so still having meetings to try and wrap it up. So close, but still out of reach. Due to scheduling issues I had a meeting at the end of the day that wound up broken into 2 parts with an hour in between. So I changed into my running garb and hit the streets. The temps were supposed to be 45F, but in reality was 36F at 4:45 pm. I only got in about 20 minutes, but enough to get my legs a little warmed up and start a nice sweat. Problem was I forgot my mask and started wheezing about 15 minutes into it. :-(

Once I returned and wrapped up my meeting I had about an hour and fifteen to find something easy to digest, get my bike back on the car, and drive to the Trainer Tour. I grabbed some mashed potatoes to go from Red Star Tavern next door and worked through emails while I ate (more like woofed it down).

Traffic was a bear, guess it was due to everyone on their way to Valentine's dinner. I realised I worry more in traffic when I have my bike on the back in the carrier. I don't want anyone to hit it! Oh well, traffic put everyone behind. We got started about 15 minutes late with the video. I was pleasantly surprised that there were still about 30 people to show for it. They held a Boxer Short contest that was fun, except there were only about 6 people to participate. All in good fun!

I found the workout video challenging, but then it's all still challenging to me still. Most of the work was on the big ring/15. But we changed it up quite a bit. I spent more time on the BR/13 and 12 than ever before. Could really feel the lactic acid build up in my thigh muscles. Several times we were to stand and pedal, but that is more than I can keep doing for more than 15 seconds (have to work on this over the weekend at home!). I was feeling quite good about the workout, only a couple of modifications on my part, but did 90% just as the video instructed. (Oh yeah, my wheezing stopped about the time I left work.) Towards the end of the workout an older gentleman asked me how I was doing and I said, Great. Then I overheard him say that this workout was one of the easier ones. That's when, for just a few seconds, my excitement level dropped. It was easier than last week with all of the one-legged work. Afterwards, while everyone was packing up and grabbing a bite to eat, one of the regulars came by to chat with me. She was making me feel right at home. As we talked I found out that she lives within a mile of two of my home. I've been riding past her subdivision for months. She offered to answer any questions I have, especially about different loops that she does and their distances. She said there will be many opportunities to ride evenings and weekends come April. I am so happy that I am growing my world wtih new people of various interests and are willing to share their knowledge of cycling with me. I'm adding to my list of acquaintances and resources.

Yes, this was a Valentine's Day of a different kind. No chocolates or flowers or cards. But an enjoyable day that ended with me smiling, very pooped, and sleepy.

No comments: