22 September, 2007

What a beautiful last Saturday (day) of summer

Mother Nature has been especially kind to us with warm days this year. I'm sure my choice of adjectives could be debated as those not inclined to warm (90+) days may say she's been cruel. I met a friend at the Cycler's Cafe today for a swap meet. Several people had bikes, wheels, tires, saddles, parts, paraphenalia, etc. We had a beer, looked around, talked to a colleague from work, saw another from a distance and enjoyed the georgeous afternoon. I talked to one of the guys inside at the counter about saddles. He gave me a couple of tips to try on the one I have, see if any of that works. I'm thinking I should invest in some padded shorts, too. (DUH)

I slept in til 6:30 this morning. Sat on the patio with a cup of jo and communed with the birds until the sun was almost up. Temps were mid 60s at 8am. I drove to the HS track and ran/walked 6 laps. Went with the intention of 4 - 1 mile. Then through some debate over 6 laps versus 25 minutes. 6 laps won out, now I wish I'd done the 25, 'cause I finished the 1.5 run/walk in 16/17 minutes. I might've been able to pull a 7th lap.

It's funny how memories flood back while I'm on the track. Setting up the hurdles, sprinting them over and over. Dealing with a busted knee and ankle all season from dragging my trail leg over the hurdle 25% of the time. Running 220s, practicing long jump. All those black girls that beat me. I could hold my own at times, just not most of the time.

Now, I'd like to think I've changed my ways with enough time to fix some of the damage. Won't know til some time passes I reckon. I do know I need to be patient with myself. I pushed myself fairly hard while running. My heart was pounding and I wasn't getting as much oxygen intake as I'd like. I should get one of the girls to sit with me on abdominal breathing. Learn to breathe in a relaxed manner and maybe one of these days, inhale through my nose. I would like to see me get to where I can run a few miles by end of next summer. I'd like to see me ride in a bike run next summer, too. Or at least join a group of people that ride regulary once I think I won't get left behind.

One day at a time. Run a little farther, ride with a little more abandon. Push myself throughout each day.

Maybe I should take salsa and tango lessons in winter!

No comments: