25 October, 2011

STG = WOW

So Sunday is going to kick my butt BIG TIME. I still want to do the mtn bike race, but practicality is taking a front seat right now.

I went to CX practice tonight and got there early. Pre-rode a bit, especially the dowhill that makes me gasp a little, then there's the immediate run-up that I have no decent cardio for any kind of good performance. It's full of ups and downs plus two straightaways and LOTS of bumpiness. 

Kudos to Bobrow. The course is compact yet challenging. Two sand pits! Two sets of steps to run. 

I rode the "warm-up" lap with the RZ kids. They dropped me solid and my HR was at 172 for most of it, my max is 175 for goodness sake.  Then I get this flat tire. But it's not totally flat so I pump it up and wait for them to come around and catch on but the tire kept rolling so I went back and changed the tube. I missed a good workout tonight. I finally grabbed back on for the last two laps, flubbed the start of the first one and truly only got a good lap and a half total before I had to leave.

I ride to and fro practice. Doesn't make sense to drive as I live too close. It's about a fifteen minute ride home for me. Unless I'm totally whooped then it's twenty.  :-)

So I read this quote today and need to keep it handy when I get all in a funk about where I am with racing, etc. I hope it helps others keep a good perspective on life as well:

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." Beverly Sills 

Personally, I don't think I'll ever be doomed. I love to try new things. Sometimes I'm a scaredy cat like riding that downhill. But if I don't try I'll never know. I don't want doom. I'd rather fail. It's all about getting up anyway.

Love and peace

No comments: