06 April, 2008

What a fantastic day

I've been looking forward to this since Thursday, when Olivia first mentioned the 2:00 Heine Bros. ride. There's been nary a cloud, save a wisp or two, during my ride. The day started clear and sunny, but very crisp. Had a leisurely morning sipping coffee, enjoying a good warm bowl of oatmeal, wrapping up a thing or two here and there.

It was funny driving to the ride. My though processes anyway. I've always been outgoing and willing to meet and talk to anyone. I decided early on that this was the only way I was going to experience new things and grow my world. But I'm driving to the ride and I get butterflies in my stomach. I did this driving to my first Trainer Tour, too. It's different for me, walking into a situation solo as opposed to having a buddy with me. I started to get a little paranoid. I wonder if people will take up a conversation or just say Hello back and move on?

I arrive at the parking lot, which is almost 1/2 full already, about 25 minutes before 2:00. As I'm getting my gear together, I'm looking around the lot to see if I recognise anyone from the Trainer Tour. Ya know, people with helmets on look different than without a helmet on. :-) I see the ride captain with her paperwork on the next aisle of cars. I walk over and ask, are you Connie? She was so friendly and helpful. She asked about my skill-level, speed, and experience and which length I was going to ride. I definitely came for the longer one. She said that A.B. would be great to ride with. She then went over and said something to him and he waved me over. He recognized me from the Trainer Tour. Even said I was a strong spinner. Then I saw one of the girls from work and we chatted. She introduced me or pointed out several of her YahYah sisters. I realised that I was silly for being paranoid.

We started out at a nice pace with about 10 in our group. For the most part we stayed around 17mph. Got a little faster in places and slower in others. Hit a number of yellow lights and then at least as many if not more red lights. As we changed places in the rotation, I would say Hi and introduce myself. It's funny, I usually gave people a short time as opportunity for them to initiate. Most don't feel comfortable in that role I assume. But everyone was friendly and pleasant once I broke the ice. We got to River Road and somehow I was in front of most of the ones I'd been riding with. Instead, I was with about 4 guys. We were going at a nice clip, about 19 mph and then cranked it up. I stayed with them a very short distance, but just still don't have the lung power. A.B. caught up to me enough that I could hear him talking to me. Said, don't try to stay with those guys, you'll wear yourself out. So, about 5 or 6 of us stayed together and kept that 17 mph pace. He kept asking if I got my wind back. Then as we approached the turn off of River Road he said I might want to drop my pace. We were approaching a hill that doesn't look too bad at all, but it's a long one with a low grade and can be deceiving. Oh yeah, tough is what it was. I was glad I stayed with A.B. 'cause if I'd try to keep a 20 mph pace and then hit that hill, I don't know if I could've done it without a stop. (That would be embarrassing as hell).

At one point a lady named Bernice heard me breathing behind her and asked if I was alright. I told her as long as she could here me breathing all was fine. If she couldn't hear me anymore then there'd be a problem. It was tremendous fun. Spoke to numerous cyclists. Many were asking how I did once we got back to the parking lot. I said that A.B. took care of me, he was my babysitter. Now, A.B. is over 70 and in great shape. Someone said that Bernice is approaching that age, too. I believe she had already ridden the chat & nibble which was around 60 miles. Several had. Then did the 25 mile ride, which is really only around 22. I also have decided I have a long way to go before I am happy with my ability. I want to get stronger and faster. I want to average over 20 mph. I'd love to get to a point where I might be competitive. We'll see. One day at a time.

I'm looking forward to the next one. I'll miss my skirt ride tomorrow, but think I might ride at lunch instead. My oldest said I could sleep on her couch tomorrow night, which should be good. It's going to be an interesting week. But the weather channel says we are in for some more sunny days in the low 70s. I say, Bring 'Em On!

No comments: