01 March, 2008

One goal achieved - now to set more!

This morning was the Anthem 5K. The first in a series of 3 races in Louisville, KY labelled the Triple Crown of Running. There is a 10K in 2 weeks and a 10 miler in 4 weeks. Today's race began at 8:30 and the temps were ~35F. My BFF was a great partner, she encouraged me throughout the race and kept asking how I was doing. I know that I held her back. She kept telling me, leading up to today, that she would be happy to walk, she wasn't that thrilled at the thought of running the race. I know that was all for my benefit, because once we got started I could tell that she was chomping at the bit to run ahead. She may not admit it, but she is competitive. I made it thru the first mile before walking. I walked much less than I thought possible, but still more than I would've like. Our electronic chip time was 36:29 which works out to an 11:34 minute mile. The winning woman ran it in 16:48 and the winning man's time was 14:19. A friend that is a long-time runner asked why we ran two laps! :-) ha ha funny funny - but that's okay, 'cause I expect a nudge and a push from my competitive friends.


Now I know a couple of things: I can set out to do physical things that I've never done before (or at least not in 3 decades) and achieve them; I have a fantastic best friend; even though I've entered into a new phase of my life, I am still viable. I also know that I can run faster than today. I know with the proper amount of training I should be able to break a 10 minute mile, but first I need to break 11. Small goals lead to bigger ones.

The weather forecast for Sunday is 67F and beautiful. I'll be getting out on my bike and putting some miles and hills behind me. I hope my legs don't let me down!

I'm so glad I quit smoking cigarettes and can get out and have fun with 7,000 other people (closer to 8,000 for the race). Now I have to find some more events to enter. Still thinking about the duathlon in June. Definitely will be joining on some rides by mid month.

No comments: