03 April, 2011

Wind decides to show up in April?

So, I'm trying to focus on the training plan. I toyed with driving to Ohio to race this weekend, but I'm NOT fit enough. So, I rode all week. Trainer on rainy days, outside on dry days. Walking and strength. The plan calls for endurance miles and some focussed form and strength training right now. 

Tuesday, I rode with the new local women's team. Nice to meet some new ladies that like to ride bicycles. I almost froze my butt off! Hard to dress properly this time of year. Trying to get on the mtn bike when trails are good. It is April and there are showers forecast almost every other day. We are LUCKY the trails here drain well for the most part. 


I rode Chero/Seneca Thursday with a couple of ladies. I chased actually. We went over to No Net. I rode more than ever, but still pushed my bike too much and I took a small spill and have a trophy bruise on my forearm for it. Good thing they rode the whole thing and missed that part. ha ha ha 


Saturday was warm and windy. A STRONG lady cyclist joined me for a ride to the sunnyside of the Ohio River (Indiana). She's recently arrived in Louisville, is from the countryside of Kentucky. The ride over and to Utica was fairly decent and then I began suffering a bit on the little climb through the ammo plant property. We fought wind both ways. She was so patient with me on the way back. My legs couldn't seem to find a decent gear to push. I learned early on not to curse the wind. Each time I did, it just blew harder. Finally, I said thank you Mother Nature. It changed and changed direction to where I am not sure we had more than a couple of miles tail wind over 50 miles. I think crossing the 2nd street bridge scared her a bit. She and I both were blown around while coming back across to Kentucky over that thing. Thank Goodness there was slow traffic (maybe because of the circus) and the trek back we didn't have to deal with speeding cars and wind.


Today, I had made several sets of plans. They kept changing. That's cool, this is life. A whole slew of friends went to Versailles State Park in In. to ride trails. They are all strong and I decided to stay here and ride Waverly for the first time.
 
Backing up, during yesterday's ride my left hand went completely numb. At one point I could not shift up or down from big to small ring unless I used my left hand.  not good.  My feet went numb, too. So, after dinner I hit the bed by 10. My arm and hand and feet woke me up all night long. Got up before 8, fixed an egg burrito and tea with honey and took my meds (oh yeah I forgot to take those yesterday but once shouldn't have any affect). I took a nap on the couch and didn't wake up until 11. So much for joining the beginner ride at Waverly.


Anyhow, I rode part of Waverly. Just under 4 miles. It's open and flowy. I have no idea where I was exactly. I found a couple of downhills that I psyched myself out about and walked. My HR jumped on a couple of ascents. But one of those climbs I walked and then went back and rode it twice, just to prove to myself that I could do it. I would've done that on the descents too, if I'd been with  someone. Need to stop being such a scaredy cat. I finally found my way back to the parking lot. I'd been out there less than 50 minutes riding, but was wiped. The temps were quite warm and I was soaking wet. I need to get back out there on a day I'm feeling good and find some friends to go. Not to ride with, but to know if I don't come out. ha ha 


A good friend asked me to ride the park roads with her this afternoon. I was glad, because I needed the time in the saddle. We met up and started out. The wind was relentless. I saw it was averaging 23 mph while we were out there. Not sure of the gusts. I put the bike in my small ring and just tried to spin the crap out of my leg muscles. They still don't feel good. 


Oh yeah, you know how you have some milestones in life that you really look forward to? I've reached one of those. While it's natural and would be a relief, it's also a bit sad. Child bearing years are behind. What does this mean exactly? Skin loses more elasticity, other things begin to slow down. But it is important to focus on the positive. I rode 72 miles on bikes this weekend. It might not be as much as a lot of people I know that ride bikes. But it's more than I did for a long time before, when I was young.


I sincerely hope everyone is enjoying this springtime and all it has to offer. It'll get cold again and then warm back up. It's all good stuff. I promise.

peace to all

No comments: