17 April, 2011


This has been a busy week, fairly stressful with little time in the saddle. 

My oldest came and packed my kitchen on Sunday as I packed in the bedroom. I worked Monday all day and Tuesday about half a day. Walked through the house one last time @ 2:30 to make sure nothing major was wrong. They had removed both bathroom mirrors and the potrack that was bolted to the ceiling in the kitchen. These are considered permanent fixtures. With vacation and movers scheduled I wasn't going to hold up closing. The closing was scheduled for 3:30 and lasted until 5:00. I've been through closings many times in the past, but never one that took an hour and a half. I went back to the apt and started packing again. I was starving and had very little food so went to the Boom Bozz and grabbed dinner. By the time I got home I was exhausted. It had been a full day that started @ 6am and then a couple of calls and work kept going past noon. I looked around at what was left to do and decided I could get up at 5 and wrap it up before the movers arrived around 8:00 or so.

Well there was much to think about I guess. My friend insomnia dropped in around 2:00 and by 4:00 I decided to get up because they weren't leaving. I ate breakfast and went from one corner to another packing and packing. I'm surprised how much I still had to pack, because I had not unpacked much besides clothes and necessary dishes and pots from the last move in April 2010. I started loading bikes and gear in the car about 6:30. I tried very hard to be as quiet as possible and not wake up the neighbors. All 4 bikes fit quite well along with all of the extra wheels, pumps, helmets, camelbak and other gear. I also had other items that only I wanted to move. 

The weather was perfect with sunshine and temps in the 60s. Movers arrived by 8:20, surveyed the situation, wrapped what needed wrapping and carried all of my furniture and boxes down 25 wooden steps and loaded the moving van. We drove to the house straightaway, they moved everything in, setup  the bed. All completed in 3 hours time. Good experience. 

The rest of the week has been cleaning (they didn't leave it very clean) and upacking and purchasing necessities. I was totally taken aback that the prior owners had never cleaned out their kitchen cabinets. I mean they were still full of sawdust from being installed. They had lived in this house for about 10 months. I feel like I should've gotten more done, but the weather changed to rain and my hands started aching. 

I rode so little I hate to post about it. I got in a nice road ride on Thursday and trails on Friday. I even earned a new way to climb up Cochran hill. One of the younger mtn bikers was kind enough to join me. He was very patient. A very nice young man. I rode my road bike this afternoon. Having some issues and just can't seem to get comfortable.  Goal is to start each day with 30 minutes of recovery on the trainer this week. I need consistency and to find my mojo soon. Looks like another race will come and go next weekend.

I've met several neighbors. They are all very nice. Stopping by to say hello and introduce themselves. That's one very good thing about having a front porch. My brother came by and saw the house on Wednesday after I moved in. My youngest came by after work on Thursday and checked it out. I've been mostly to myself besides that.

I need to buy furniture and rugs. I hope to buy a reel mower or maybe a weed eater. Yard is small. I have lots of wishes. Most I know will remain so. 

Guess I should do my taxes now. yuk


1 comment:

AM said...

Who takes a bathroom mirror? Would that ever occur to a normal person? I think not. Congratulations on the new home and glad you're in there.