07 September, 2008

Compliments are always welcomed!

First I have to say that the holiday weekend was pleasant, even if my UofL Cardinals lost their first game to state rival UK Wildcats. They didn't have an offensive score! only a safety and ended the game with 2 points. Very disappointing.

I finally got to see the internist on Tuesday. She took more blood work and went over the lab results I had with me from my gyno visit first of August. She said that my cholesterol is very good, the HDL is well above the desired number and the LDL is well below. I have an underactive thyroid. This causes weight gain and tiredness among other symptoms. I need to call about lab results tomorrow. She will start me on thyroid hormone in a low dose and check me every 6 weeks until we get it right.

I am glad one of the symptoms is weight gain. I've been working so hard with cycing and trying to each right and I've lost weight. But maybe I'll finally drop below that 150 mark with medication. I know my body is leaner and firmer. Just feel heavy and sluggish.

I didn't ride on Sunday, Thursday and only a couple of mile yesterday, but rode each of the other days since last Friday. D and I have been cutting some of the mileage short on the downtown rides (cutting out downtown). Think I'll make sure and ride the full rides this week or add to the end to get full mileage. I still have 124 miles for the week!

This weekend is the big ride/fundraise for the Louisville Bicycle Club. OKHT - Old Kentucky Home Tour. I volunteered at SAG#2 yesterday making peanut butter sandwiches for 3 hours. It was great fun! I'm anxious to hear how many riders we wound up having. Today, D and I met up with M and a couple others to ride the 50 option out of Tom Sawyer. It was a great 48.1 miles, started with temps about 61 and was only 79 back at the park. Counting 2 SAG stops, I rode this in 3.5 hours. That's not very fast, but I wasn't very far behind D and Matt at the end, maybe 10 minutes. Was a little tense in a couple of places today. There were 4 cars on the upswing on the hill on Brush Run that just couldn't be patient. At one point one car was in the other lane, but not passing! At another point a car almost slammed into us from behind. We could hear him and we were trying to get to the shoulder, but didn't hear him slowing at all.

One bright spot was early on the ride when M, a young man about 28 asked me if I was wearing new shorts. I responded that they weren't that new, maybe had then 5 weeks. Why are you asking M, I inquired. He tells me that they make my ass look really good. This is in the company of 4 - 6 other cyclist riding down the road. I respond, thanks M! I thought it was my ass that made the shorts look good. ;-) Oh my, I could be his mother. In fact someone pointed that out. At that point the conversation deteriorated for a few minutes. I have to say that it would be nice if someone closer to my age made that compliment. I don't see that happening though.

LIfe is so good to not be smoking and to have the blood coursing through the body rich with oxygen. 12 days til the games. Starting to get a little more anxious. Not sure this ole broad has trained hard enough.



No comments: