18 May, 2008

Another week full of living

My youngest had her 23rd birthday on Tuesday. It's the first birthday that I've not physically been with her. She has been a smoker for quite a while now. She decided on Sunday to start on the nicotine patch and made it from Monday thru Friday evening tobacco free. Then she fell off the wagon. It is so very hard to quit. I know she'll try again. Hope it doesn't take her as long as it took me to decide.

I rode all weekend, so nice after all the rain to have such sunny days with perfect temps. Friday saw the weekend tune-up, about 12 miles. A.B. did a 50 miler from EP Tom Sawyer to Simpsonville and back. I slept on it and showed for the ride Sat morning. What a blast! It was great fun, beautiful countryside, and the last 10 miles were HARD! There are a couple of tough hills (bumps in the road for some seasoned cyclists) and a head wind most of the ride. When we didn't have a head wind, we had a cross wind. Nothing to the back! On the first half of the ride, we rode down a country lane, paved but only wide enough for one car and passed a shallow cow pond where 2 cranes were standing. Fantastic! All kinds of spring wild flowers. I started to bring my camera, but I was too busy riding to think about clicking off pics. We barely saw any road kill, no traffic! A.B. told me, but I had to experience it. One the first half there are plenty of hills that you fly down and coast up the next one. Now, that is one sweet experience! On the way back one of the guys cruised past Donna, Stewart and I. We were moving uphill at a good clip and outta the right side of the road a squirrel runs in front of the fast dude. Makes him swerve, but he recovers nicely. I just kept thinking I never want that to happen to me while I'm flying downhill in my drops.

Went this afternoon to the Ice Cream ride at Widow's Walk in Jeff. Head wind or cross wind both ways, but not nearly as tough as yesterday. Great way to keep the legs limber, still a workout. Tomorrow is handling class. Then I have to go 4 days off the bike. I'm not thrilled and hope the hotel has something I can spin on. I logged over 100 miles this week! woo hoo.

Here's to everyone having a fantastic week full of happiness and sunshine. :-)

No comments: