14 June, 2010

Not living in the real world

Many events have happened over the last bit o time since last I wrote anything. Mostly, I've worked and trained and raced with very little else happening during my days and nights.

New bike! I finally got my Cervelo S2. I've shopped and shopped and test rode and thought and pondered and worried over getting a new road bike. She is sweet-hot and fast, damn shame she doesn't have a new engine to push her down the road. The day I got the call she was ready I immediately was pumped and flush with excitement. Arrived at the shop, got my fit, test rode a couple of saddles. Checked that it would fit in my car (not putting her on the trunk rack, NO WAY!) and then just after check-out something happens that deflates the moment. Welcome back to reality, sista.

I then trained and rode the S2 and worked to get ready for the Tour of the Red River Gorge. Big 3-day stage race. My first. Some arrangements fell through, not exactly what was planned for several months, welcome back to reality, sista. The time trial was tough. It was 90F when I left Louisville, but showers in Lexington brought the temps down to 75F. As we all started warm-ups we could feel the humidity bearing down. The time trial brought me to the realization of how much harder I need to work. Three people passed me, very humbling experience. But I ended up getting a bronze medal for my category and my avg mph was higher than I expected for a course of rollers.

Next day was the 51-mile Kentucky State road race championship. I'd never had a race with a feed zone before, or the use of a wheel truck. Note to self, wheel truck is moot if you are slow and it passes you to stay with the pack. LOL I was nervous, but by race start was fairly calm. I hung with the rest through mile 12 at which point they danced up a nice hill and I just couldn't hang on. I rode the next 38 or so miles solo. I knew there were others behind me, but I didn't dare look back. Those guys on VS. get a lead and when they look back they always get caught. The silver medalist almost caught me on the last hill. I walked more than I care to admit, but knew I could walk faster than she or I could ride it. At the top I mounted the bike and flew down the other side @ 40mph. The wind was pushing my front wheel and it took everything I had to keep the bike straight and not touch the brakes. At the bottom there was the 10K sign. That was the longest 6 miles I've ever ridden. I cussed, cried, cajoled, bribed and anything else I could thing of to get myself to the end. I had a hot spot on my right foot and my saddle was wearing uncomfortable to the max. Even though 4 other Cat 4 riders finished in front of me, they were all from out of state. So, crazy as it sounds, I won the gold medal and the state championship. The silver medalist and I got a podium shot and I headed to the motel. I'm so glad I got the motel with a pool, even though I cramped up at one point.

Third day my team mate advised me not to use my EC90s, but brought me a 27/12 cassette since there was a nice big hill and he didn't want me to walk it. :-/ I had stomach issues first thing, but those settled up by the time I began to warm up. The weather forecast was ominous. I started having a really bad feeling, like something bad was going to happen. I started the race, but pulled myself about mile 1. Not proud of that. But it is reality now. That was a long weekend. One that I called my mini vacation. I took Monday off, thinking I was going to race on Sunday and would need it. Glad I did, got to have my massage and enjoyed the day.

to be continued...

No comments: